22 September 2009

Manchester from the Eyes of an International Student.

Hey there again people !

 

I’m trying really hard to start to update my current blog constantly again. I have to thank the International Department of MMU for supplying the photos and events for that sake. I was getting real bored after my US trips (not that I did not enjoy myself back in KL). Things have certainly started to pick up again after a long summer break. Honestly I am real curious to where all the time went. It’s as though I just woke up from a very long sleep and find myself having to start Uni again.

 

It’s not that I hate uni life or anything to do with it but I am VERY prepared to graduate in 9 months time. Well I will do a lot less typing now and give you guys an insight on what I have been doing over the last couple of days !

P1050629

A really old building which was previously own by possibly some royalty of some sort in Tatton Park. Unfortunately I could not take a picture of the really cool looking old-school stuff inside due to copy right stuff.

P1050625

The park that came together with the house. Boy no wonder they needed a stable next to the house imagine if you’d lost your keys/reading glasses somewhere.   

P1050634

Participation of MMU student in a Celtic dance. And there I was thinking Asians are as open as the Westerners !

It was a great night with participations from both the faculty members and students ! Although it’s not something we know before hand but I think we did good that night with the dance and all !

P1050637

Wayne and some chic ! XD

He’s a Malaysian working for the International Department. Absolutely a great person !

P1050643

Like I said earlier the place was probably owned by some sorta royalty in the UK back in the days when they’d go over to Africa and New-Found-Land to hunt for stuff that didn’t quite look like a human…The place was crawling with these prizes on the walls…

P1050647

The following morning, the International Department arranged 2 option for us (the newbie to the neighbourhood). One was Alton towers theme park and another was a walk around Manchester with a local, followed by a trip to Trafford Center which is some sorta huge-ass shopping mall like Midvalley Mall.

Above the very hotel where Rolls-Royce, Marks & Spencer and many more famous ventures first meet to talk cock about how they would make a difference to the world. There I am dreaming about Marcus & Something and their very crazy idea that shook the world too meet in Manchester not too long in the future.

 P1050648

Bridgewater Hall a pretty darn good looking concert center if you ask me. The best attraction to this place is however not the building and it’s unique construction methods but rather a £ 125,000 piece of rock that sits right in front of it.

 P1050650

Hilton Tower from up close and personal. For £ 600 ++ a night you’d get to live in luxury and in the tallest building in Manchester that would give you a view of close to 10-15 miles radius of view. Or for £ 20 pounds a night you'll get the Hilton Chambers where I stayed when I first got to Manchester. It’s definitely incomparable to the Hiltons but I find it so much more interesting because of it’s location and the stuff that happens around it !

P1050655

Part of the canal that used to be the lifeline in this industrialized city. Now it has not been forgotten but rather turned into a great looking residential area that is close by to the city.

P1050658

  P1050660

One of the many gates that exist through out the canal in order for it to use the laws of physics and create a flow so that boats would be able to move about.

Pretty cool stuff if you want to really see Greater Manchester in detail.

P1050663

 P1050666

And finally Trafford Center.

Though this journey has just begun but I cannot help to feel nostalgic. It sort of brought me back to the days when I first got into University of West Georgia. I have to say I felt more a sense of belonging to a group when I was there. Perhaps it is because we were a smaller group and we did not quite have a choice but to mingle around with everyone.

P1010789

But heck here I am getting to know a LOT of new people already as it is. That's it for now folks ! I will try my best-est to update this blog. Till next time, Cheers !

Marcus

No comments: