08 January 2011

Uncertainties

Hello everyone

Seems to me the only motivation that gets me to actually figuring something out and writing it down here are unfortunate events. This is where I vent my frustration to the world I guess. By simply penning all the shitty things in my head on the digital world instead of destroying this world by writing it on a piece of paper. (Everyone has to do their part right ?)

I was looking around facebook recently and caught a very sad news. A friend of a friend was swept away by strong currents while studying abroad. His body was never found. I don't really have much information about it besides what is posted on facebook and on the web.

We often hear stories like these being told everyday on the news and yet somehow we do not feel emotionally connected. Although I do NOT personally know this person, I did have the pleasure of meeting him once when I was still in America visiting those in Oglethorpe University.

This incident got me thinking on what life means to me and how fragile it could really be. With all the technological advancement in every field mankind has obtained into in the past century, I am sure the things that are running through his mind in the last few minutes were "Why me", "Help" and "Shit". It seems as though no matter how hard we try to defy the force of nature, time and time again it strikes while we are most vulnerable and renders all our achievements useless.

All the technology advancement we have today is partially thanks to the arms race we humankind have been having amongst ourselves since the dawn of civilization. If only it was not military driven, who knows the kind of technology that might have been developed instead of heat seeking missiles and clocking devises that might have just been enough to save this person's life.

Perhaps it's just me being all squishy and emotional recently but somehow even though I do not know this person, when I read about the unfortunate news, something just slipped away inside of me. It's like I was in a club and suddenly the amps were unplugged leaving behind deafness and nothingness for a split second. Following that a whirlpool of life in general began to stir inside.

If I feel this affected having only meet him once, I can only imagine the pain that the people around him that knew him personally would be feeling this very moment. The sudden disappearance would have rip a hole in them that nothing short of him coming back safely would heal. But as much as well all wish that, it will forever be a wishful thought.

To a person that has had nothing but scores of praise from everyone and to the heartfelt loss of those around him. A minute of silence.

M

2 comments:

Anastasya Hong@Kylie said...

My condolence...
Take care Marcus!

Marcus Khoo said...

thanks but i will pass it on to someone that actually knows that person. i think his passing somehow came in time with me toying around with my inner emotions...hence me cooking up this bunch of crap. either way, the world has lost yet another good person.